Hair loss treatment refers to any procedure that is aimed to promote hair growth and stop hair loss. Hair restoration treatment can have a tremendous impact on appearance and confidence. At City Facial Plastics in Manhattan, New York we offer many different options for hair loss treatment for our patients, using the most advanced options in the hair restoration field. Dr. Gary Linkov is an experienced facial plastic surgeon and hair loss specialist in New York City who gives his patients access to the best options in treatment for hair loss.
What Is Hair Loss Treatment?
Hair loss can be devastating. It affects men and women and can strike at different times of life. Some people lose their hair rapidly and others slowly. Sometimes hair grows back and sometimes it does not. Many people feel helpless when they experience hair loss. Fortunately, however, there are a number of hair loss treatments for men and women that have been shown to help.
What Are the Types of Hair Loss?
Both men and women experience hair loss in various areas. While the scalp is the area that concerns most people, hair loss can occur in other places as well. Facial hair like eyebrows, beards or mustaches can become thin for various reasons. Body hair may also be lost due to hormonal imbalances or other factors. Hair loss treatments can be used for the scalp, face, and body to give patients confidence in their appearance.
Hair loss treatments can be divided into three main categories (temporary, semi-permanent, and permanent), based on how long the treatment lasts. Medical therapies require continued and repeated use in order to maintain efficacy. Other more procedural hair loss treatments last longer after single treatments. The treatment options below are geared towards the most common cause of hair loss, androgenic alopecia.
The categories and subcategories of hair loss treatments include:
- Available as a 2% or 5% solution or 5% foam
- Mechanism: Opening of potassium channels
- Increases diameter of existing hairs more than hair count
- 15% will experience shedding initially
- Most common side effect: Contact dermatitis (propylene glycol) *Absent in foam preparation
- Women can get hirsutism (hair on face) if the solution or foam spreads
- Usually taken as 1mg by mouth daily
- Mechanism: 5alpha-reductase inhibitor, decreases serum and scalp levels of DHT (Dihydrotestosterone)
- Increases hair diameter, growth rate, and hair counts
- Signs of efficacy at 3 months, fully assess effects at 1 yr
- Most common side effects: Decreased libido (1.9%), erectile dysfunction (1.4%). Typically returns to normal when stopped.
Nutraceutical (Viviscal; Nutrafol)
- Daily vitamins
- Biotin (vit B7) is the key active ingredient. Numerous other extracts and vitamins (ie Vit C, B-vitamins).
- Professional grade Viviscal has an additional marine complex
- Double-blinded placebo controlled study published in 2018 on Nutrafol with only modest subjective improvement ~5-10%
Low-level laser light therapy
- Many FDA cleared devices (iGrow, TheraDome, illumiflow, iRestore, Capillus, and HairMax)
- Mechanism: Increased blood flow to the scalp and decreased apoptosis (cell death)
- Wavelength 630 to 680 nm
- Yet to be determined: optimal frequency, power, diode count, and duration
- It can restore density due to the thickening of finer, miniaturized (vellus) hairs.
- Many applied for 15 min, three times daily
- Some offer money back if low satisfaction
- Clinical trials blamed for lack of visual evidence, low sample size, and large variations in study duration and efficacy measurements
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)
- Scalp injections using your own blood
- Mechanism: Platelets release growth factors (i.e. – VEGF and EGF) that stimulate hair growth
- Studies including double blind placebo controlled show: higher hair density, high patient satisfaction scores, and higher terminal to vellus hair ratio
- As with laser light, Lack of standardization: Various machines, activation mechanisms, volume of blood, platelet count, and injection techniques
- Local anesthesia used to anesthetize scalp prior to injections
- Repeat injections every 3-6 months
City Facial Plastics
635 Madison Ave #1402E,
New York, NY 10022
Our Location on the Map: https://goo.gl/maps/2ijBCh1XDqJz9GM1A
Upper East Side | Lenox Hill | Hell's Kitchen | Midtown Manhattan | Murray Hill
10021, 10028, 10044, 10065, 10075, 10128 | 10019 | 10022, 10017 | 10016
Working Hours :
Tuesday: 8AM - 7PM
Thursday: 8AM - 7PM
Friday: 8AM - 7PM
Sunday: 8AM - 7PM
Payment: cash, check, credit cards.